I hope that you had a restful weekend!
The children successfully completed iReady assessments and I look forward to analyzing results to better assist each child in achieving his/her best!
Our Prayer Service will on Thursday the 14th begin @ 9:00. Each child has opted to have a speaking part which I sent home to practice along with songs-
There is a $1 Red Dress Down and we will have a small class party later that afternoon if you would like to send Valentines. There are 8 boys and 5 girls. No need to put names on envelopes.
We will be starting a weekly class reward in honor of Wilma Rudolph. We learned about her inspirational life story this week which really resonated with the children, I hope! : ) The student who is the most Wilma-like, who doesn’t give up when things get hard, who stays focused and tries his/her best will receive the award. I hope that it motivates the students to develop these important life character traits!
Here’s a look at our upcoming week…
ELA – Unit 3.4: Frog and Toad Together – Big Question: What changes happen in a garden? Test/Quiz Friday
High Frequency Words:
1. afraid 6. soon
1. ground – soil or dirt on the surface of the Earth
2. head – top part of your body or the front part of most animals’ bodies
3. rain – water that falls in drops from the clouds
4. shouted – called out or yelled loudly
5. shouting – calling or yelling
1. gardener – someone who grows plants
2. nature – everything in the world that is not made by people
3. sprout – to begin to grow
4. dim – not bright
5. shade – place that is darker than the area around it because light from the sun has been blocked
6. blossom – flower of a plant
7. destroy – ruin
8. humongous – very, very big
Grammar: Verbs for Now and the Past
Writing Trait: Word Choice
Phonemic Awareness: Blend and Segment Syllables, Substitute Phonemes, Blend and Segment Phonemes, Add Initial and Final Phonemes
Phonics: Inflected Endings-ed, -ing, and r-Controlled ar
Comprehension: Plot, Visualize
Math – We are working on equivalent forms of 10’s and 1’s with numbers, pictures and objects.
Religion – We continue to learn about Jesus’ sending the Holy Spirit. Test Thursday.
Science – We will learn about how light helps us see and making observations about different types of light.
Social Studies – We continue to learn about symbols of our country as well as contributions of famous African Americans. Last week we learned about: Louis Armstrong, Harriet Tubman, Jackie Robinson Barack Obama and Ruby Bridges!